Listen Live
Close
1053rnb app
Two portraits: a young man with short brown hair wearing a white t-shirt, and a young man with dreadlocks wearing a white t-shirt with a NASA logo.
Source:

Attorneys for Karmelo Anthony are seeking a new trial, and now that they’ve been granted a new judge to rule on the motion, the gloves are off, with both sides of the legal aisle releasing information about each other’s clients’ pasts. Essentially, what has come to light is that the stabbing victim, Austin Metcalf, has a history of violence, extreme racism, arrests, and convictions, whereas Anthony has a record of school suspensions for fighting, and a trove of disturbing text messages that reference violence and other bad behavior.

So, let’s get into it.

According to CBS News, during Anthony’s original trial, the prosecution and defense agreed to keep both Anthony’s and Metcalf’s pasts under wraps and away from the jury. That agreement is now at the center of whether or not District Judge Michael Chitty — who was assigned to replace District Judge John Roach, who recused himself amid allegations of bias — will grant the defense’s motion for a new trial.

Before we get into what has been revealed about both teens, it’s important to note that Anthony’s new legal team argued Friday in a Collin County courtroom that Judge Roach violated Anthony’s rights by presiding over the aforementioned agreement in secret, holding conferences that weren’t documented and holding pre-trial hearings where he wasn’t present. Defense attorney Toby Shook testified that prosecutor Bill Wirskye entered into an agreement with the defense that witness testimony would be confined to what happened “under the tent” where Anthony stabbed Metcalf. The defense agreed to the terms, “believing it protected Anthony from stalking allegations while allowing him to testify about self-defense without facing character cross-examination,” according to Fox 4 News.

After some back-and-forth between Wirskeye and Anthony’s new lawyers, both sides exposed what had previously been hidden about their clients.

From CBS News:

Austin Metcalf and his brother Hunter Metcalf were once caught spray painting graffiti, including “KKK kill all blacks” and “Heil Hitler,” along with the N-word, and were sentenced to 12 months of juvenile probation, court documents show. 

Records reveal they reportedly told authorities, “we did some dumb stuff” and “we did some vandalism.”

There are several documented instances of Austin Metcalf using racial slurs in school, and in 2023, Austin Metcalf was accused of bullying a Black student in class. 

In 2018, according to court documents, while still in elementary school, Austin Metcalf and his brother were accused of bullying and assaulting a female, which led to Austin Metcalf’s arrest.

During an argument in 2024 with another female student, Austin Metcalf allegedly “knocked her to the ground and punched her in the stomach,” reports state, and he was also kicked out of a football game and later texted someone, “I was about to beat the (expletive) out of those kids.”

School disciplinary records show that between 2021 and 2024, Metcalf was banned from attending basketball games for a season after yelling profanity at a player and had a record of cursing out teachers. In 2024, on at least five occasions, records show, Austin Metcalf saw a counselor regarding his anger and rage during a football game. Court documents also revealed that at a previous track meet, a student told Metcalf that someone not on their team “behind our bench was talking wild,” to which Metcalf reportedly replied, “Kill that mf.”

So, now we know that, much like their father, the Metcalf brothers were racist. They also have a history of violence, including alleged violence against a Black victim, and Austin allegedly has a history of getting violently angry at opposing team members being on his team’s turf with a bad attitude.

Now, in the interest of fairness, let’s look at Antony’s past.

More from CBS:

On the day that Karmelo Anthony would fatally stab Austin Metcalf, prosecutors say he sent a text message at 1 a.m., which said, “I’m lowk on the verge” and then emphasized it. 

Later in the morning on April 2, 2025, and hours before Karmelo Anthony would kill Austin Metcalf with a knife at a high school track meet, prosecutors said Karmelo Anthony’s girlfriend reported to a Centennial High School staff member that Karmelo Anthony was “engaging in stalking behavior, to include, but not limited to, driving by her home and refusing to allow her to end their relationship.”

Also in a 75-page filing, prosecutors say Karmelo Anthony had previously been accused of stealing his girlfriend’s phone and in October 2024, wrote a “to-do” list for his girlfriend about how to deal with quote “weirdos” which included the line “say sum slick like my bf kill people.”

Prosecutors also revealed texts in which Anthony claimed to have punched at least two girls in the face, communicated with another student about robbing someone for $300, punched someone “so hard he had to stop fighting,” told a friend he was going to vandalize someone’s house in Austin because “I just feel like it, I gotta grudge,” and told a friend he had been suspended from school for three days for fighting, saying, “they said next time I do sum I get recommended for expulsion.” In fact, prosecutors released numerous texts in which he talked about his habit of getting into fights and beating people up.

Notice, though, that, as disturbing as some of Anthony’s texts might have been, they’re still just text messages; they’re not court documents, arrest records, actual allegations of physical violence by a female student, and messages of violence and bigotry that were intentionally displayed in public by the same teen whose violence is on record.

Granted, Anthony had other text messages that made direct references to gun violence. In one message, he wrote “Imma shoot the school up tmr” “with my blick,” but later sent messages saying “I would never” “actually do that.” According to prosecutors, he said in a text thread that he carried a firearm, telling a friend before a party that he would have “the gun in my pocket.”

Prosecutors also referenced numerous unreleased photos and videos of Karmelo Anthony holding firearms, which is rich, because, well…

Anyway, according to NBC 5, the defense has rested its case in the new trial hearing, which is expected to end Friday. It’s unclear when Judge Chitty will decide, but we will update this story when he does.

SEE ALSO:

New Judge Will Hear Karmelo Anthony’s Appeals Case

Karmelo Anthony Gets New Legal Team As Appeal Process Begins

Karmelo Anthony: Lawyers Expose Austin Metcalf’s History Of Racism And Violence Amid Bid For New Trial was originally published on newsone.com