Family members of Ma’Khia Bryant, the teenager gunned down by Columbus Police officer Nicholas Reardon after calling authorities for help, say more work needs to be done by prosecutors investigating the shooting.
The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) concluded its review of the fatal April 2021 encounter and has referred the case to Franklin County Prosecutor Gary Tyack.
“Ma’Khia’s life as we all know was taken far too soon.” Attorney Michelle Martin said as she stood outside City Hall with Bryant’s grandmother and sister. “And we must do everything we can to make sure it is not swept under the rug.”
According to Martin, witnesses who were “excluded from the BCI investigation” must not be ignored.
“It was not thorough enough for me because they did not interview me that night.” Jeanene Hammond, Ma’Khia’s grandmother, said of the BCI investigation. “It was nearly a month after the incident that they sent me a letter stating that we want to interview you now. Why did you detain me that night and say you’d charge me with a felony and not interview me?”
For Ja’Naiha Bryant, life after losing her sister has been marked with unanswered questions and frustration with the legal system.
“I am trying to keep normalcy. I am trying to be a teenager but I am also trying to get justice for my sister,” Bryant said.
The police-involved shooting death of the 16-year-old teen on April 20 came at an especially sensitive time for the nation, as many had just learned the verdict of the Derek Chauvin trial, in which the former Minnesota officer was found guilty of brutally murdering George Floyd.
Police have yet to release full details of what transpired when officers were called to a residence in Columbus that reported threats of inter-household violence. Bodycam footage showed where officer Nicholas Reardon fatally shot Ma’Khia after she wielded a knife at two woman near the driveway of the home.
- ‘The View’ Attempted to Talk About Critical Race Theory But Let Conservative Misinformation Dominate The Conversation
- DOJ Launches New Program To Combat Redlining And Lending Discrimination
- Mitch McConnell Praised Clarence Thomas’ Anti-Abortion Stance Hours Before SCOTUS Upheld Texas Ban Again
- Taraji P. Henson Says Past Abusive Relationship Left Her Missing A Piece Of Her Lip To This Day
- Watch Trailer: Yahya Abdul-Mateen II & Jake Gyllenhaal In Upcoming Thriller ‘Ambulance’
- Don’t Know How To Do ‘Trans-Europe Express’ Line Dance? We Got You [VIDEO]
- In Honor Of Breast Cancer Awareness Hear About The “Lift Your Pearls & Check Your Girls” Initiative
- Everything You Need To Know About The COVID-19 Booster Shots [WATCH]
- Sensing Possible End To ‘Racist’ Filibuster, Civil Rights Leaders Are Cautiously Optimistic
- Snoop Dogg’s 50th Was A Playa’s Ball Extravaganza [VIDEO]
'Jason's Lyric' to 'The Parent Hood': A Look Back At The Career Of Suzzanne Douglas
1. Gregory Hines and Suzzanne Douglas on the set of the movie "Tap"Source:Getty 1 of 10
2. Douglas on the 90s sitcom 'The Parent Hood'2 of 10
3. Cast of 'How Stella Got Her Groove Back' at the film's premiereSource:Getty 3 of 10
4. Douglas in the 1994 film 'Jason's Lyric'4 of 10
5. Suzzanne at a red carpet screening for 'When They See Us'Source:Getty 5 of 10
6. Trailer for the 2019 miniseries, 'When They See Us'6 of 10
7. Red carpet premiere Of Lifetime's 'Whitney'Source:Getty 7 of 10
8. Trailer for the 1994 film "The Inkwell"8 of 10
9. "Hughie" Broadway Opening NightSource:Getty 9 of 10
10. Move Trailer: "How Stella Got Her Groove Back"10 of 10
Ma’Khia Bryant’s Family Calls For Deeper Investigation As Case Heads To Grand Jury was originally published on mycolumbuspower.com