Coronavirus cases are back on the rise in the Charlotte area, according to new data from Mecklenburg County Public Health Department.
The county numbers were declining progressively for a few months but the rate of coronavirus cases is on the rise in nearly every Mecklenburg County neighborhood, The Charlotte Observer reports.
Health officials say the rising trend comes as vaccines are successfully slowing hospitalizations and deaths but the positivity rate of COVID-19 testing in Mecklenburg is rising.
The most recent COVID-19 case rate data by ZIP code is only shown or active, infections detected by coronavirus testing, and factors in population to show where cases are most concentrated. Mecklenburg Public Health releases ZIP code-level data weekly and the rate is based on a 14-day average.
In all but three Mecklenburg ZIP codes, the rate increased towards the end of March, compared to earlier in the month.
ZIP code 28202, uptown area had the highest mass of COVID-19 cases in the county’s most recent data release, with 661.6 cases per 100,000 residents. The next highest was 28204, Cherry and Elizabeth, 28203, South End and parts of Dilworth and 28214, north of the airport, and to the west, along the Catawba River and the Gaston County line, in that order.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
Uptown and surrounding ZIP codes 28204 and 28203 have consistently had some of the highest flock of cases in Mecklenburg and saw some of the county’s largest rate increases in recent weeks.
- Sabrina Elba Stuns In Dolce And Gabbana
- Thieves Steal $1 Million In Jewels & Handbags From Shannon Sharpe’s L.A. Home
- Mind Body Business: 4 Unhealthy Physical Signs You Should Not Ignore
- Damar Hamlin & Buffalo Bills Teammates Take CPR Training Course As Safety Returns To Practice Field
- Dionne Warwick Denies Toni Braxton and Mariah Carey as “Icons” [WATCH]
- Shocking Video Shows B2K’s Raz B Breaking Window & Climbing Onto Hospital Roof
- Dodged That Bullet! Claudia Jordan Glad She Didn’t Date Brian McKnight During ‘Celebrity Apprentice’
- Serena Williams Tells Olympia She’s Going To Be A Big Sis, And Her Reaction Is Heart-Warming
- The Little Mermaid Starring Halle Bailey Premieres In Theaters Everywhere Today [TRAILER]
- Issa Rae Talks The Importance Of Authenticity As A CEO In The May Issue Of ‘Black Enterprise’
Rickey Smiley’s DM: I’m Growing Feelings For My Engaged Supervisor
Church Announcements with Bernice Jenkins: We Need Grown-Faced Little Boys For The Junior Deacon Board
He’s Back! Jamie Foxx Announces Return To TV With New Show
Dionne Warwick Denies Toni Braxton and Mariah Carey as “Icons” [WATCH]
Storms Approaching NC Coast Memorial Weekend
Rest In Power: Notable Black Folks Who We’ve Lost In 2023
Mississippi Cop Shoots 11-Year-Old Boy In Chest After He Called 911 To Help His Mother
Iconic Singer Tina Turner Dead at 83