Jada Pinkett Smith and Leah Remini finally came together for a conversation about Xenu on Smith’s “Red Table Talk” Monday, and the two seemed to squash their feud that goes back to 2015 when Remini dropped her memoir “Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology.”
“She reached out to me, which was really huge of her ’cause I really don’t… I don’t know if I’m that big,” Smith said on her Facebook Watch series ahead of their sit-down.
The origins of their beef stems from Remini recounting in her memoir an evening the two shared. Her narrative was different than Smith remembered, and Jada disputed Remini’s account on “Watch What Happens Live,” which led Leah to conclude that she was a Scientologist, and she declared as much to The Daily Beast last year.
Smith and Remini didn’t speak for years but they reached a resolution with the help of mutual friend and actor Duane Martin, whom Remini reached out to.
“The Girls Trip” star said she and Remini met 20 years ago and they reconnected at the Church of Scientology but Jada has denied that she and husband Will Smith are followers of the controversial religion.
“It upset me because I didn’t understand why we had to be in your book, because we really didn’t have anything to do with this,” Jada told Leah, sharing she was “hurt” by the mention.
As reported by usatoday.com, Remini admitted to not considering how sharing her story would impact the Smiths.
The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @1053rnb
“Looking back on it, I didn’t even consider Jada and Will,” she said. “I was so caught up in that pain,” Remini added, getting choked up, “and also the pain of others and the effects that it had.”
Back in July 2017, “WWHL” host Andy Cohen brought up the time the Smith family spent with famed Scientologist Tom Cruise.
“(Cohen) doesn’t tell you what he’s going to talk about. He just throws stuff at you, and so when that came up, I was like that’s not how I remember that night going,” Smith explained. “You had basically created a situation for Will and I… At that point, I’m like, I got to protect Will and I.”
“When I saw it, I was hurt, because I was like, ‘Oh, she’s in (the church),” Remini responded.
“When I saw that you made that statement, I felt the need to respond to something that I felt was untrue and was an attack,” Smith said.
She denied being a Scientologist after Remini’s Daily Beast interview, writing on Twitter: “I practice human kindness, and I believe that we each have the right to determine what we are and what we are not… NO ONE ELSE can hold that power.”
“My grandmother was like, ‘You’re gonna learn all the religions, and then you got to decide which one you want to practice,’ ” Smith told Remini. “So, for me, all religions have been my home, which is why I didn’t have a problem going to the Church of Scientology and saying ‘I’m not a Scientologist. I want to just be here and see what you have to offer,’ because that was my life, that’s what I’m used to.”
She added: “I always took the position that I’m here at the Scientology Center to learn what I want to learn, and I have no interest in being a Scientologist.”
Toward the end of their chat, Remini offered Smith an apology: “I really truly deeply apologize. I should have thought about the names in the book, I should’ve thought about what that meant for you guys, and I didn’t.’
“It’s OK. I love you anyway,” Pinkett Smith said.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Article Courtesy of EURweb
First Picture Courtesy of Paul Archuleta and Getty Images
Second Picture Courtesy of Gabe Ginsberg and Getty Images
Video Courtesy of Facebook and EURweb
Remembering Aretha Franklin [PHOTOS]
1. 2016 Kennedy Center Honors - ArrivalsSource:WENN 1 of 36
2. Aretha Franklin during an appearance on NBC's 'Late Night with Seth Meyers.'Source:WENN 2 of 36
3. 102nd White House Correspondents' Association Dinner - ArrivalsSource:Getty 3 of 36
4. Minnesota Vikings v Detroit LionsSource:Getty 4 of 36
5. Aretha Franklin during an appearance on NBC's 'Late Night with Seth Meyers.'Source:WENN 5 of 36
6. The BET Honors 2014Source:WENN 6 of 36
7. Aretha Franklin performs liveSource:WENN 7 of 36
8. Aretha Franklin performs liveSource:WENN 8 of 36
9. Surprise Oprah! A Farewell Spectacular - PerformancesSource:WENN 9 of 36
10. Surprise Oprah! A Farewell Spectacular - PerformancesSource:WENN 10 of 36
11. Surprise Oprah! A Farewell Spectacular - PerformancesSource:WENN 11 of 36
12. Surprise Oprah! A Farewell Spectacular - PerformancesSource:WENN 12 of 36
13. BET Honors 2014: Debra Lee Pre-DinnerSource:WENN 13 of 36
14. 38th Annual Kennedy Center Honors' on CBS.Source:WENN 14 of 36
15. ArraySource:WENN 15 of 36
16. New York premiere of 'Selma' - ArrivalsSource:WENN 16 of 36
17. ArraySource:WENN 17 of 36
18. ArraySource:WENN 18 of 36
19. Billboard Women in Music Luncheon 2014Source:WENN 19 of 36
20. ArraySource:WENN 20 of 36
21. Late Show with David LettermanSource:WENN 21 of 36
22. ArraySource:WENN 22 of 36
23. ArraySource:WENN 23 of 36
24. ArraySource:WENN 24 of 36
25. ArraySource:WENN 25 of 36
26. ArraySource:WENN 26 of 36
27. ArraySource:WENN 27 of 36
28. ArraySource:WENN 28 of 36
29. ArraySource:WENN 29 of 36
30. ArraySource:WENN 30 of 36
31. ArraySource:WENN 31 of 36
32. ArraySource:WENN 32 of 36
33. ArraySource:WENN 33 of 36
34. ArraySource:WENN 34 of 36
35. ArraySource:WENN 35 of 36
36. aretha franklin deathSource:CS 36 of 36
Jada Pinkett Smith Settles Her Feud with Leah Remini was originally published on wzakcleveland.com