UPDATE: POLICE NOW REPORT THAT THE STUDENT HAS DIED.
Fox 46 Charlotte is live now with updated coverage on this morning’s shooting at Butler High School in Matthews. The victim and shooter has been named. The suspect is 16 year old Freshman Jatwan Cuffie and the victim was also 16 years old sophomore, Bobby McKeithen.
Details are still unclear on how the suspect brought his gun onto school property and allegedly the shooting was escalated from texts and social media posts over the weekend.
The suspect surrendered after a teacher convinced him to admit that he was the shooter. Sources are also revealing that the suspect felt bullied by the victim and the situation was handled the wrong way. Cuffie has been charged with first degree murder.
Early this morning, Butler High School in Matthews was put on lockdown after a student shot another student around 7:15am.
According to our news partners at Fox 46, the shooting happened just as school began. The lockdown on the school was lifted around 9:15. The shooter is currently in custody.
Police advise that there is no further danger at this time and the shooting seems to be an isolated incident. Sources say that a fist fight broke out before the shooting occurred.
Parents of the students were advised to meet by the nearby Elevation Church in Matthews for further information but became frustrated and made their way to the school demanding to see their children, get information and take their children home as the investigation continued.
Shortly after the lockdown was lifted, parents were allowed to pick up their children and police said those students who are not being picked by their parents will have to remain in school for classes.
- Gabby Sibide Reveals She’s Been Secretly Married For Over a Year
- Baker Mayfield Cut By Panthers After 7 Games
- Did Taye Diggs & Apryl Jones Get Engaged?!
- Murder Trial Begins For Aaron Dean, Ex-Cop Who Killed Atatiana Jefferson
- When We All Group And ACLU Of Georgia Lead Coalition Tour Ahead Of Runoff Election
- Op-Ed: Advocating For A Strong Media Must Be Part Of Broader Racial Justice Work
- AIDS Memorial Quilt Makes Its Way To Alabama
- Charles Barkley Calls Kevin Durant “Insecure,” The Brooklyn Nets Star Calls Him A Clown On Twitter
- Houston Police Arrest Man Accused Of Killing Takeoff
- Exclusive: Zoe Saldaña Talks ‘Avatar: The Way Of Water,’ The ‘Beautiful’ Film’s Emotional Impact & More