Around one million North Carolina students have a day off today as their teachers stage a day long strike in protest of working conditions and pay. Teachers from at least 42 school districts in our state are joining together to demand higher pay and more money for education. As many as 15,000 teachers are expected to march at the state Capitol in Raleigh today. North Carolina is the latest in a string of teacher uprisings across the U.S. this year that have prompted strikes in West Virginia, Oklahoma, Arizona, Kentucky, and Colorado. The main goal of the NOrth Carolina strikes is to increase education funding in the state, which is about $2,400 below the national average, and an increase in pay, which is about $9,000 below the national rate.
Want gospel news at your fingertips? Text NC to 60796 to join our text club!
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @praisecharlotte
- The “2018 Video Music Awards” Are Tonight!
- An All New Episode Of “ATL Homicide” Tonight @ 10pm On TV One!
- Vivica A. Fox Says “No!’ to Playing Omarosa!
- Cardi B’s Not Singing At The VMA’s!
- White Lines: Did A Pentagon Official Take Advantage Of Her Staff?
- Little Known Black History Fact: Kofi Annan
- Happy Birthday Bill!!!
- Happy Birthday Fat Joe!!!
- Jennifer Hudson To Star In Aretha Franklin Biopic?
- ESPN Says No To Airing the National Anthem Before Monday Night Football Games!