Derrick Rose’s civil rape case continued Wednesday in Los Angeles as we near the end of a tense week of testimony. On Tuesday, the judge presiding over the case said he was so frustrated with the accuser’s lawyers, he was considering a mistrial.
Rose’s lawyers were reportedly pushing for a mistrial because prosecutors didn’t submit crucial evidence, including text messages from the night of the incident. But Judge Michael Fitzgerald made it clear Wednesday that a mistrial is unlikely. He also said he intends to wrap things up in the next eight days and hopes to close the case by next Friday at the latest.
New York Knicks head coach Jeff Hornacek told the New York Post that Rose will not return to the team until the trial is over. Rose, his accuser (Jane Doe), and the plaintiff’s witness Jessica “Kendra” Goff have already taken the stand so far in the $21.5 million case.
Hornacek says Rose won't return to team until trial is over.
According to ABC News, the judge called the plaintiff’s lawyers “unbelievably careless” on Tuesday for failing to share relevant text messages with Rose’s lawyers important to their case until their witness (Goff) took the stand.
Goff is a massage therapist who is friends with Rose’s accuser. Goff reportedly accompanied her friend to Rose’s house on August 26, 2013, the night of the alleged rape. Goff is expected to testify that her friend told her Rose and his friends “forced themselves” on her.
While testifying on Friday, Rose told the prosecutor he has remorse for the incident, but still feels the sex was consensual. He said, “Yes, I am sensitive to it… But I feel like I didn’t do anything wrong.”
Atty for woman asked @drose if he had any remorse for incident. "Yes, I am sensitive to it…But I feel like I didn't do anything wrong."
With no physical evidence available, testimony from both Rose and his accuser will be crucial to the case.
Doe claims Rose and his friends broke into her house and had sex with her while she was in and out of consciousness after a night of heavy drinking. Rose’s defense has maintained his innocence, saying the sex was consensual and pointing to the accuser’s sexual history (including previous consensual intercourse with Rose) and inconsistencies in her story.
In court, Jane Doe asked about once going to see Derrick Rose at hotel: "“I dropped weed off for Derrick. I don’t recall who else was there"
According to the New York Post, Goff’s testimony will be crucial in deciding the case. Rose’s lawyers allege that Goff’s testimony proves Jane Doe consented to sex with Rose on the night of the incident.
Stay tuned to Global Grind for more details on this case as it unfolds.
1. Bill Cosby: Since 2005, over a dozen women have alleged that Bill Cosby drugged and then sexually assaulted them. With the allegations getting media attention again, the first supermodel ever, Janice Dickinson, has also come forward to reveal the "Cosby Show" actor raped her in 1982.
1 of 9
2. Michael Jackson: Throughout his career, the King of Pop was accused of molesting young boys several times. After he died, it was discovered that Michael spent over $35 million covering up the alleged molestation of 24 boys.
2 of 9
3. Martin Lawrence: Leading man in one of the best comedy series ever, Martin's co-star Tisha Campbell left the show "Martin" in 1997, citing sexual harassment, sexual battery, verbal abuse, and threats from Martin. To make matters worse, Tisha recently revealed she was a victim of rape at just 3-years-old.
3 of 9
4. Terry Richardson: The man on the other side of the lens has been labeled a sexual predator by more than a few women. Multiple models have claimed Richardson requested sexual favors during shoots, and the heinous accusations stretch all the way back to 2005.
4 of 9
5. Woody Allen: The famed director reportedly sexually abused his 7-year-old adopted daughter Dylan Farrow. Allen refused to take a polygraph test administered by state police, and the young girl's claims were found to be consistent with the testimony of three adults who were around the same day the abuse happened.
5 of 9
6. James Brown: James Brown has not only been arrested for armed robbery, in the early 2000s he was sued by a woman who claimed it was Brown's fault she suffered from Graves' disease, as he allegedly raped her at gunpoint in 1988.
6 of 9
7. Kobe Bryant: The LA Laker was the center of a lot of negative attention in 2003, when a 19-year-old hotel employee accused the basketball player of raping her. Though Kobe admitted to having sex with her - and remember, he was married at the time - he denies it was rape.
7 of 9
8. Sean Penn: The famed actor is not only known for his ability to meaningfully portray a character, he's also known for tying up ex-wife Madonna and beating her bloody. She escaped when she told her husband of the time she had to use the bathroom.
8 of 9
9. Marv Albert: In 1997, the beloved Sportscaster plead guilty to sexual assault and battery of a longtime lover, who claimed that he repeatedly bit her and forced her to perform oral sex on him. She claimed she was only able to escape after ripping his toupee off of his head.
9 of 9
Continue reading 13 Celebrity Men Who’ve Been Accused Of Heinous Crimes But Are Still Idolized
13 Celebrity Men Who've Been Accused Of Heinous Crimes But Are Still Idolized