Given Fat Joe and Jay Z’s turbulent past, and the fact Jay Z hasn’t been featured on much since Kanye awkwardly added him to Drake’s “Pop Style,” Hov’s “All The Way Up” verse went all the way on social media – literally.
The verse was the number one trending topic on Twitter and inspired the internet to react with hilarious memes, gifs, and commentary. On the verse, Jay Z paid homage to Guru’s rhymes on the classic 1992 Gang Starr song “DWYCK” and addressed rumors regarding Beyoncé’s Lemonade LP.
“You know you made it when the fact/ Your marriage made it is worth millions/ Lemonade is a popular drink and it still is/ Survival of the littest,” he raps.
Jay also referenced drinking D’USSE out of his Grammy Award, Prince’s masters, the infamous elevator incident, and Blue Ivy being showered in gold similar to the iconic David LaChapelle-shot photo of the late Tupac Shakur.
“The OG’s say, “HOV, how high is high enough?”/ I said “’till we eye and eye with the higher ups”/ Until we let ’em know, we ain’t those n*ggas/ Until our baby’s showered in gold n&gga / Blue looking like Pac in the tub/ David LaChapelle levels of not giving a fuck,” Jay rhymes.
Wondering who David LaChapelle is? Well, he’s not the hilarious comedian Dave Chappelle – that’s for sure.
The iconic photographer/director got his start in art and fashion when legendary pop artist Andy Warhol mentored him in the early ’80s. Since then, David LaChapelle has positioned himself as one the premiere artists in kitsch pop surrealism.
Over the past 20 years, David has worked with everyone from Pamela Anderson, Katy Perry, Madonna, and Amanda Lepore, to Britney Spears, Angelina Jolie, Whitney Houston, Lil Kim, Kanye West, and even Jay Z.
Find out how David LaChapelle has impacted music culture over the past 20 years below.
1. Remember this controversial photo of Kanye carrying Lady Gaga out the jungle? It was all David’s idea.
2. David loves Lil Kim and shot these iconic images of her.
3. He shot Mariah Carey’s Rainbow album cover.
4. Kelis’ 2000 “Good Stuff” music video featuring Pharrell and The Clipse was his directorial debut in the hip-hop world.
5. The following year, David directed Mariah Carey’s “Loverboy (Remix)” music video with Da Brat and Ludacris.
6. He shot Andre 3000 and Kelis in the early 2000s.
7. He visually helped Christina Aguilera strip away her teeny bopper image by directing her infamous “Dirrty” video featuring Redman.
8. He’s also responsible for Avril Lavigne’s classic “I’m With You” video.
9. Remember when J.Lo recreated scenes from the iconic 1983 film Flashdance? Yeah, he did that too.
10. No Doubt’s “It’s My Life.”
11. In 2004, Dave LaChapelle directed Gwen Stefani and Eve’s “Rich Girl” music video.
12. David also directed the dance film RIZE, which was an intimate portrayal of inner-city youth using dance as an outlet.
13. Depiction of love with Courtney Love:
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty, Instagram
13 Things To Know About The Guy Jay Z Rapped About On “All The Way Up (Remix)” was originally published on globalgrind.com