UPDATE: February 18, 2016 5:21 AM
After her public battle with Stage 4 cancer, Angela “Big Ang” Raiola died in the hospital early Thursday morning, a representative on behalf of her family confirmed on Twitter.
In March 2015, the star announced doctors discovered a lemon-sized tumor in her throat, which lead to the start of Big Ang’s ongoing battle with the disease. The same month, she underwent surgery to have the tumor removed and underwent the same surgical procedure in June on the right side of her throat.
In December, however, Ang announced the cancer had returned.
Since Ang’s discovery of the tumor’s return, she and her family have been extremely transparent with the public. Her family created a GoFundMe page in February to raise the money for the removal surgery and was able to earn $45,000 in two weeks. The star even appeared on the Dr. Oz show to talk more in depth about her condition. During the show, she revealed her split from her husband, stating, “I felt like he never stepped up to the plate, so I was done with it,” adding, “now, it’s too late. I would rather be by myself. I would rather be alone.”
Angela is survived by her sister, Janine Detore, her two children, Raquel and Anthony Donfrio, and six grandchildren, whom she expressed great appreciation for, stating in the same Dr. Oz interview, “If it wasn’t for them, how would I get through this?”
Angela was 55 years old.
11 Celebrities Who've Battled Cancer
1. Sophia VergaraSource:Splash News 1 of 11
2. Angelina JolieSource:Getty 2 of 11
3. Leah StillSource:Getty 3 of 11
4. Big AngSource:Splash News 4 of 11
5. Hugh JackmanSource:Getty Images 5 of 11
6. Brandi MaxielleSource:Kass for The Brand Group 6 of 11
7. Robin RobertsSource:Getty 7 of 11
8. Stuart ScottSource:Getty 8 of 11
9. Giuliana RancicSource:Getty 9 of 11
10. Taylor Swift's mom, Andrea Swift.Source:Getty 10 of 11
11. Diem BrownSource:Splash News 11 of 11
“Mob Wives” Star Big Ang Has Died After Stage 4 Cancer Battle was originally published on globalgrind.com