The family’s lawyer Jonathan Moore revealed Garner’s widow, Esaw, rejected the deal from the wrongful death suit filed last year against the NYPD. The father of six died in Staten Island last July after being placed in an illegal chokehold at the hands of former police officer Daniel Pantaleo. Moore reportedly pleaded with the family to take the offer and seek more money from another suit against EMTs from Richmond University Medical Center. “They were captured on video failing to give Garner, 43, medical treatment — neither oxygen nor CPR,” according to the News.
Esaw and her daughter Erica have stayed vigilant in keeping Eric Garner’s name in the public eye by challenging police reform with other activists and political leaders, the NYDN reports.
“It seems like because they didn’t prosecute the officers on Staten Island, all the other officers were like, ‘Hell. We’ll get away with it. Let’s just do it again,’” Esaw said, reflecting on the recent wave of police killings of unarmed black men across the country.
The family is attempting to sue the city for $75 million, but the $5 million offered would have been noted as the largest reward in a wrongful death suit involving an officer.
Meanwhile, Pantaleo has made a plea to return back to the streets as an officer with the NYPD. Currently tasked with desk duties, Pantaleo’s attorney Stuart London says he wants to help the people of New York.
“The unbelievable part is this has not soured him one bit on doing law enforcement,” London said. “It hasn’t diminished his desire to help the citizens of this city.”
Esaw and her family plan to honor Garner this Friday with a special remembrance at Coney Island. Joined by Rev. Al Sharpton and other civil rights leaders, the family will speak on the many ropes left to climb in gaining justice for Eric and the other men and women of color who have died at the hands of police officers.
To find out more about the remembrance, check out the family’s site here.
SOURCE: NY Daily News | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
As Cop Involved In Eric Garner’s Death Asks For Job Back, Family Plans For 1-Year Anniversary was originally published on newsone.com