Not too many young women can say they are both a beauty pageant queen and a military intelligence office. But reigning Miss Black USA Jasmin Alexander can.
“I consider myself the girl next door,” she tells The Tom Joyner Morning Show. They don’t agree.
Alexander, who was commissioned into the Air Force in 200o, says her father, who was in the military, was a staunch advocate of education and he suggested ROTC because of its financial and educational benefits.
Alexander’s goals were not so lofty at first – she just wanted the extra money to go shopping.
“I didn’t realize what I did until he was reading me my oath,” Alexander says. “And it clicked that I’m about to serve my country. I don’t regret it, because I learned so much.”
A graduate of the University of North Carolina Charlotte, in Broadcasting and Mass Communications, Alexander also holds a Master’s from Liberty University.
Born in Ramstein, Germany, Alexander is now stationed at Paterson Air Force base in Colorado Springs, where she coaches a cheerleading team and goes to cosmetology school part-time.
Unlike General Colin Powell, Alexander does take advantage of Veteran’s Day sales.
“I already started online last night,” she laughs.
Click the link above to hear the entire interview.
Brains Not Bribes: Black Celebs Who Attended Ivy League Schools
1. John Legend- University of Pennsylvania1 of 8
2. Sanaa Lathan- Yale University2 of 8
3. Courtney B. Vance- Yale UniversitySource:Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP 3 of 8
4. Rashida Jones- Harvard UniversitySource:Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP 4 of 8
5. Angela Bassett- Yale UniversitySource:Arnold Turner/Invision/AP 5 of 8
6. Shonda Rhimes- DartmouthSource:Evan Agostini/Invision/AP 6 of 8
7. Lupita N'yongo- Yale University7 of 8
8. Tracee Ellis Ross- Brown University8 of 8
Meet Miss Black USA & Air Force Intelligence Officer, Jasmin Alexander was originally published on blackamericaweb.com