Lil’ Wayne proved that hard work and consistency can land you the number one spot in hip hop. He has come a long way from selling over 250,000 copies in the first week with his debut solo album, The Block Is Hot to selling a million in a week with Tha Carter III. After selling 964,000 in the first week with Tha Carter IV it is safe to say that Lil’ Wayne sits at the top with some of hip hop’s greats.
There was a time when the critics doubted if Lil’ Wayne could be successful after the break up of Cash Money Record’s The Hot Boyz. Today it seems as if he can’t fail. His second album Lights Out failed to produce major hits but Lil’ Wayne returned with an unmatched work ethic and has provided his fans with several hit singles on the Billboard charts.
I decided to rank Lil’ Wayne’s chart topping singles. Check out the list below and let us know what order you would have ranked the singles or what singles would have made your list.
10. The Block Is Hot ft. BG & Juvenile- Lil’ Wayne’s solo debut single of his same title debut album released November 2, 1999. The single peaked at #72 on Billboard’s hot 100. Produced by Mannie Fresh and with the help of fellow The Hot Boyz members BG & Juvenile, Weezy delivered a single with the signature Cash Money sound.
9. Go DJ ft. Mannie Fresh- The Mannie Fresh produced track released in 2004 off Tha Carter album was Lil’ Wayne’s first solo major hit. Peaking at #14 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #3 on the rap charts and becoming a top 40 single.
8. Got Money ft. T-Pain- The third single off Tha Carter III peaking at #10 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #2 on Hot Rap Tracks. Lil’ Wayne boasted about having money and having fun with your money. This was just one of many hits Lil’ Wayne and T-Pain aka T-Wayne have produced together.
7. Hustler Musik– The second single off “Tha Carter II” produced by T-Mix and Batman was not as big as most singles from Lil’ Wayne peaking at #87 on the Billboard hot 100 and 16 on the rap charts. However Hustler Musik was in heavy rotation on east coast radio stations.
6. Mrs. Officer ft. Bobby V- The fourth and final single from Tha Carter III album produced by Deezle peaking at #16 on the Billboard hot 100 at #2 on the rap charts. Bobby V. and Lil’ Wayne had the ladies wanting to role play and take charge.
5. She Will ft. Drake- The single debut at #3 on the Billboard hot 100 and #8 onthe rap charts. The also sold over 255,00 copies on itunes in its first week of release. Produced by T-Minus “She Will” featuring Drake became Lil’ Wayne’s highest charting single of The Carter IV.
4. 6 Foot 7 Foot ft. Cory Gunz- Teaming up with Bangladesh once again Lil’ Wayne releases the first single off Tha Carter IV. Sampling “Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)” by Harry Belafonte Bangledesh puts together another ill instrumental for Weezy. The single peaked at #9 on the Billboard hot 100 and #2 on the rap charts. Over 2 million digital downloads in the U.S. sold.
3. How To Love– The third single off Tha Carter IV produced by Detail recently peaking at #5 on Billboard’s Hot 100 and #2 on the rap charts. Lil’ Wayne explains what Hot To Love is about, “How To Love” is about “Women who don’t know how to love because there’s deep reasons for them not knowing how to love… And what I mean by deep reasons is deep and dark reasons.”
2. Lolli Pop ft. Static Major- The first single of Tha Carter III produced by Deezle and Jim Jonsin. The single peaked at #1 on the Billboard hot 100 and rap charts. Lolli Pop was also a popular ringtone. Selling over 2.3 million copies and over 3 million digital downloads.
1. A Milli– The second single off Tha Carter III produced by Bangladesh A Milli was a hit from start to finish, catching so much attention every rap artist in game did a freestyle to it. When Jay-Z does a freestyle on your instrumental its a hit.
Charlamagne: “Lil’ Wayne & Lady Gaga Were The Best Cross Dressers”
Drake Comments On Jay-Z And Wayne Beef [VIDEO]
Lil’ Wayne Disses Jay-Z On “It’s Good” ft. Drake & Jadakiss [NEW MUSIC]
Judge Joe Brown’s Accusations of Tina Turner Being a “Witch” and “Pimp” Resurface [LISTEN]
Country Singer Jimmie Allen to Sell Mansion Following Rape Lawsuit and Divorce
Church Announcements with Bernice Jenkins: We Need Grown-Faced Little Boys For The Junior Deacon Board
Dionne Warwick Denies Toni Braxton and Mariah Carey as “Icons” [WATCH]
Woman Shot to Death During Boyfriend’s Memorial Celebration [LISTEN]
Rickey Smiley’s DM: I’m Growing Feelings For My Engaged Supervisor
Storms Approaching NC Coast Memorial Weekend
Mississippi Cop Shoots 11-Year-Old Boy In Chest After He Called 911 To Help His Mother